Schedule your Oral Comprehensive Exam
To schedule your exam, perform the following steps, in order. Please print this page so you can follow the instructions in Step 5 very carefully.
1. See Karen Corl in Room 501A before you do anything else!
She can help to guide you through the process and this will save you a lot of aggravation!
2. Secure your adviser's approval to take the exam
3. Pick a date and time
Schedule a date and time with all of your committee members. You will need a minimum of three hours for your exam. Also, schedule 529 Walker for the date/time that you've chosen (see step 4 below).
4. Secure 529 Walker
Check the calendar for 529 Walker to see if it is available for your date and time and schedule it yourself (check with Meteo admin staff if you don't remember the password). Schedule 529 for one-half hour before your official exam start time so that you have adequate time for set-up.
5. Process Forms
Please check with the Graduate Program Administrator in the Department Office as there is a form that must be submitted to the Graduate School prior to a PhD Comprehensive Exam.
6. Schedule your Exam
In order to schedule your comprehensive exam, you will need to add the event to the Meteo website. Use the instructions below; you may want to print them before you click the link in step one.
Go to the All Defenses and Oral Comp Talks section of the Meteo website. On the right hand side of the light green bar along the top, click on the "Add Grad Talk" menu item.
- Speaker name - your name followed by two dashes (--) and PhD Oral Comprehensive Exam
- Affiliation - Penn State, Department of Meteorology
- Event URL - leave blank
- Description - enter your talk title within quotation marks
- Event Location - usually will be 529 Walker Building
- Event Starts and Event Ends: obvious, but be very careful you've chosen the right dates and times (especially the AM and PM).
- Event Body Text - Enter "Advisor: (name of your advisor)." The rest may remain blank unless you have an abstract or any other information you want everyone to know.
- Event Types (very important)
- This tells the system where to publish your event and gives it the
designation necessary to generate the automatic email reminders. You
will need to hold down the "control" key (PC) or "command" key (Mac)
button in order to select more than one option. Select
- GR and
- Homepage, and
- PhD Oral Comprehensive Exam
- GR and
- Contact Info - type your name, email, and phone in the next three fields.
- Click "Save"
- FINAL IMPORTANT STEP. You must "publish" your exam event in order for it to show up on the website. In the light green bar at the top, click on "State: Private" and select, "Publish to the World"